In 1865, a civil war veteran named Job Carr settled in what is known today as Old Town and built a log cabin that eventually became the city’s first post office and election place. Look for Mr. Carr’s likeness on the south side of the Park.
As this settlement grew, Old Town attracted many Slavonian and Scandinavian immigrants who transformed the area into a Slavic fishing village. A beautiful mural on North 30th Street celebrates our rich maritime history and it is fitting that today we are home to Tacoma’s only waterfront fresh fish market.
Job Carr’s cabin has been faithfully recreated in Old Town Park and serves as a museum and visitors’ center. This structure, along with numerous other historic buildings – including Tacoma’s first church – dot the Old Town landscape and are carefully documented in our historic walking tour.
How to Find Us? Old Town is located on North 30th Street between Starr and Carr Streets, and along the Ruston Way waterfrontFrom McCarver north to the Town of Ruston. We are only minutes from downtown via Schuster Parkway and just down the hill from the Proctor District. Just follow the waterfront and you’ll find yourself in the heart of Old Town!